Henderson, MN

Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib

Posted By: Skeddy

Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/18/13 06:08 PM

Patrick Reusse writes a fine piece on the legendary Joe Driscoll in today's paper. There's a push to get Joe in the MN amateur baseball hall of fame.
Posted By: Jeff Steinborn

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/18/13 08:07 PM

Where's Joe now?
Posted By: Don Osell

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/18/13 08:25 PM

Yes, a fine piece of writing on Patrick's part about a Minnesota baseball town team icon. I know I saw Joe Driscoll play a number of times during his Le Sueur days, and I hope the effort to install him in the Hall of Fame is successful. Joe played in the Golden Age of Minnesota town team baseball - no offense to current teams and leagues. Think about it, baseball is the only major sport that operates successfully at the community level. I hope those who elect players/managers to the Hall of Fame will recognize Joe's
contributions.
Posted By: Skeddy

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/18/13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Steinborn
Where's Joe now?

Right now not sure but he lives in LeSueur I believe. Could be shoveling his sidewalk maybe.
Posted By: Rubles

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/19/13 10:47 PM

Knowing Joe, he's in some bar talking about shoveling his sidewalk...
Posted By: Rubles

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/19/13 10:54 PM

And I meant to add, a very deserving baseball player to be recognized for all that he has done for town team ball. Hope he gets in the Hall of Fame and the next time I see him I will be congratulating him for it.
Posted By: Don Osell

Re: Article on Joe Driscoll in today's Strib - 04/26/13 02:33 AM

Recollections of long-ago townteam baseball memories:

After the game the players of both teams would gather at Whitford's, the forerunner of the Red Feather. In stocking feet, often with spiked shoes tied and slung over their their shoulders, would pile into booths. Behind the bar tap beer flowed freely into pichers, the excess foam scrapped off with ivory-colored celluloid scrappers. Waitresses with two pitchers in each hand would deliver them to the booths. In the background someone drops a quarter into the juke box and punches multiple playings of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys recording of San Antonio Rose. The game is hashed and rehashed. Opponents on the field were friends at Whitford's.

A Sunday afternoon after the ball game.

And the good times rolled!
© 2020 Chatter