PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SENATOR SCOTT NEWMAN, REPRESENTATIVE GLENN GRUENHAGEN, AND SIBLEY COUNTY COMMISSIONER BOBBIE HARDER PROPOSE SOLUTION TO SIBLEY COUNTY ROAD 6

Sibley County is aware of the need to reconstruct County Road 6 (Scenic Byway Road) going north out of Henderson due to flooding, uneven roadway, and narrow shoulders. Sibley County has this project in their Road and Bridge plan, however lacks the funding to complete the project.

To address the funding problem, Sibley County Commissioner Bobbie Harder learned in her research to find a solution, the Minnesota Capital Investment Committee, at the State Legislature, often includes road funding in the state capital improvement project bill (bonding bill). This would save Sibley County a significant amount of road dollars to be used on other projects while possibly getting County Road 6 completed sooner. Commissioner Harder reached out to local Legislators for assistance.

Commissioner Harder stated, “County Road 6 is a vital transportation corridor for residents, tourism, agriculture, and businesses. I’m thankful for the way our State Senator and Representative have responded after hearing of the many concerns regarding this road and recognizing the need and value of this project.”

Senator Newman responded by saying “I wish to thank Commissioner Harder for bringing this important transportation project to my attention. As a member of the Senate Capitol Investment Committee and Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, I will continue to work with her to complete the necessary upgrades of Sibley County Road 6.”
Senator Scott Newman and Representative Glenn Gruenhagen have agreed to author a bill in the 2019 legislative session to obtain funding for this road project. Both will work with Commissioner Harder to have a hearing in front of the Senate and House Capital Investment Committees at the State Capital to show the importance of funding the reconstruction of County Road 6.

Representative Gruenhagen affirmed, “The lack of highway exits from Henderson during seasonal floods is a severe and exasperating problem. I have lobbied hard for the funds to complete the study on highway options to address this situation. I am looking forward to authoring legislation in the House to fund and upgrade County Road 6 and give some long overdue relief to the citizens of Henderson during seasonal floods. I thank Commissioner Harder for addressing this critical concern for the Henderson area.”

For additional information please contact:
Senator Scott Newman, sen.scott.newman@senate.mn or 651-296-4131
Representative Glenn Gruenhagen, rep.glenn.gruenhagen@house.mn or 651-296-4229
Sibley County Commissioner Bobbie Harder, BobbieH@co.sibley.mn.us or 507-665-3642