2021October12 St. Thomas News

St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Le Sueur will have masses with Father Chris Shofner: Saturdays at 5:15 p. m. and Sundays at 8 a. m. and 10:30 a. m. Check the website for more information if needed.

Father Roger Hessian officiated his final Mass at St, Thomas for this year last Saturday, October 9 to 70 in church. Jim Walker read the Liturgy, Jim Flaspeter, Jim Oak, Kevin and Beth Halloran took up the Gifts. Music by Mary and the choir. A Memorial Mass was said for Jerry Retka, Edward Halloran, Halloran, Donnie and Mary Kay Sullivan Halloran, their families were present. Mass was also a celebration for Pat and Mary Brown Anderly “51 and a half years” of marriage. Rumor has it... Mary gets a kiss from Pat every morning. Oh! It’s not a rumor, it’s true... nice guy.

Kelly Burns Wilder joined her brother and sister, Vicki and Pat Burns, and cousins, Judy Johnson and Don Burns all from the Cities, at Mass and visiting family here on Saturday. All are grandchildren of Pat and Mary McCourtney Burns who rest here in St. Thomas.

Will Halloran was at Mass with a girl, when asked, “any news?”, he answered “Not yet.”

Farmers around here busy harvesting this week.

Dave and Dawn Ruhland Elfstrand, formerly of Rochester, have moved to Madison Lake recently. Dawn is the daughter of Diane Burns and Dale Ruhland.

My friend, Janet Pan of Montgomery, passed away from Cancer on Saturday. October 9, after being diagnosed in July. Our sympathies to Lesley, Stacey and the rest of her family and friends. This writer met Janet on a memorable Saturday night in February 1966 at a house party here, close to St. Thomas. The parents were away on vacation, Dad figured there was going to be a party there... never have dreamed his daughter would be attending along with 8..10 others. I’m to old to get into trouble or grounded for this now. We had such a good time. played Euchre, drank beer, Yuck!. We had such a good time... played Euchre, drank beer, Yuck! Not much drinking involved, but we sang Jeanne Shepard’s “Many Happy Hang overs to You” all the way home, great memories….and the last time Jan and I were together we sang it!

Happy Halloween! Don’t let the Boogie Man get you.